Constitution and By-Laws of the
AMERICAN COON HUNTERS ASSOCIATION
The owners of Coonhounds of all recognized Breeds have organized themselves for the express purpose of the promotion and encouragement of the great sport of coon hunting.
The name of this association shall be the AMERICAN COON HUNTERS ASSOCIATION, INC., hereinafter referred to as “ACHA.”
In fulfillment of the purposes for which this association is organized it shall:
1. Seek to encourage proper practices of conservation of our raccoon and their natural habitats;
2. Promote and maintain friendly relations between land-owners and coon hunters everywhere;
3. Promote the well-being of all coonhounds;
4. Promote and endorse respective breed standards for all recognized coonhounds;
5. Promote and endorse respective Breed Associations in keeping with the intent and purpose of ACHA;
6. Promote, endorse, provide and support youth hunters as the future of ACHA with the opportunity to display their hounds and their ability to perform as a team with fair and competitive ACHA sanctioned events including Nite Hunts, Bench Shows, Treeing Contests, Water Races, etc. in conjunction with ACHA events and separately;
7. Endeavor to support the passage of coonhound knowledge in all areas, tutelage in sportsmanship and fair play to all youth so interested;
8. Provide all coon hunters with the opportunity to display their hounds and their ability to perform as a team in fair and competitive ACHA sanctioned events including Night Hunts, Bench Shows, Treeing Contests, Water Races, etc.;
9. Provide its members from being subjected to restraint or coercion on the part of any individuals or group;
10. Maintain the World Championship Coonhound Registry for registration and achievement recognition of coonhounds;
11. Create an atmosphere of sportsmanship and fellowship at such events under the principles of the American Democracy; and
12. Shall maintain status as a “Not for Profit Corporation.”
Any citizen of the United States regardless of sex, race, creed, or color, age or disability, with suitable character and interest, upon application and payment of the necessary fees and dues, may be eligible for membership in ACHA subject to the approval of the Board of Directors.
Active members of this association shall be those persons accepted into membership as herein provided, whose dues or fees have been paid in full and are not in arrears.
Section C st The yearly dues of each member shall run from January 1st to December 31 every year. The amount for yearly dues shall be designated by the Board of Directors at their discretion.
No person shall be elected honorary membership in the association.
Expulsion of Member
Any member of the Association may be expelled by a majority of the officers and directors, voting by secret ballot, for conduct by word, deed or act detrimental to said Association.
The member in question will receive notification by certified mail from the Secretary of the Boards decision after the Board has conducted an investigation of any such issue and held a vote on the issue.
Any member of the Association so expelled shall have the right to appeal to the membership for reinstatement. Any such appeal shall be made in writing and shall be in the hands of the Secretary of the Association within fourteen (14) consecutive days after said expulsion.
The appellate process for any situation shall be as follows:
a. The Secretary shall select five(5) members in good standing, at random;
b. The Board, five (5) selected members and appellant shall convene in an online meeting. During this meeting, the appellant shall have the opportunity to be heard and then a vote shall be taken by the Board and members for a final decision.
Business meetings of the association shall be held at all major ACHA events and Robert’s Rule of Order shall be accepted as a basis of Parliamentary procedure in all meetings of the ACHA.
At such meetings, the order of business shall be: 1. Roll call;
2. Reading and adopting of the minutes of the previous meeting;
3. Reports of officers, secretaries and committees;
4. Old business;
5. Election of officers (if necessary);
6. Installation of New Officers;
7. New business;
The annual general membership meeting will be held at the “ACHA WORLD HUNT.” The time and date will be announced in the “ACHA WORLD HUNT” advertisements and electronically to the membership. At general membership meetings, not less than a majority of qualified members present and voting shall constitute a quorum.
The management of the association shall be vested in the Board of Directors.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors of the association shall consist of ten (10) members.
When a vacancy occurs the remaining board members shall fill a position within forty-five (45) days of any such vacancy.
- The terms of Directors are: Two (2) year terms. Five (5) Directors shall have an even year term and five (5) Directors shall have an odd year term.
2. The terms shall expire in odd years
3. The two (2) year terms shall expire in even years.
4. Directors elected to the Board in 2012 terms will expire in 2014 and their new terms will start in 2015 or odd years.
5. Directors elected to the board in 2014 terms will expire in 2015 and their new terms will start in 2016 or even years.
6. ballot to renew the Director to another term or terminate their Directorship. This In the last year of a Director’s term, fellow Directors shall vote by secretsecret ballot shall be counted by the Secretary-Treasurer. A majority vote of the Board of Directors shall determine the renewal of a Director.
7. Any member of the Board, who by their indifference, conduct or failure to fulfill their duties by missing two consecutive Major Events and the businessmeetings held at such events OR any member of the Board who misses two (2) consecutive Online Board Meetings shall be deemed to have resigned as a Director.
8. This vote will shall be held before August 1st annually, to allow time for the Secretary-Treasurer sufficient time to put names on ballots to be mailed out to the general membership by August 1st of each year.
9. Only Directors or Officers whose term are expiring shall be placed on the ballot.
10. Ballots shall be sent out to the General Membership on August 1st of every year where a vote is necessary to comply with these by-laws.
11. Ballots shall include the Directors and Officers the Board has approved to be on the ballot.
12. Each ballot shall contain a line and check box below each name submitted, vote.
13. If a member in good standing of ACHA receives more write in votes then the person on the ballot they will be elected to serve in that position.
14. The President or Vice-President shall be elected from Members of the Board of Directors.
If there is a vacancy on the Board of Directors, nominations shall be taken from any member in good standing at the World Hunt General Membership Meeting.
The President shall call a special Directors meeting as soon as possible to vote on the nominees.
1. If a vacancy is more than forty-five (45) days prior to the World Hunt General Membership Meeting the President shall convene a special Directors meeting to appoint a temporary Board Member.
2. That Board Member’s appointment shall expire at the World Hunt General Membership Meeting. At that time names may be put into nomination by any member in good standing at the World Hunt General Meeting.
3. The term of a Director that replaces a Director because of vacancy, shall only be the amount of time to complete the original term.
President and Vice-President, all of whom must be members in good standing, shall be elected by ballot by the General Membership from the Board of
Directors to a term of two (2) years. The President and Vice-President shall not serve more than two (2) consecutive terms of office.
1. Nominations and acceptance of nomination for President and Vice-President shall be made by General Membership from the Board of Directors.
2. The election of the President and Vice-President shall only be held with a full panel of ten (10) members on the Board of Directors.
3. If the Board of Directors is not a full Board, the election of President and Vice- President shall be tabled until the Board is made complete, if possible.
4. In the event of an incomplete Board of Directors, the Board shall make itself complete and vote for a President and Vice-President within thirty (30) days of when the election should have taken place.
The President shall be responsible to the membership for the operation of the Association in accordance with the Constitution and By-Laws. He shall preside at all meetings of the Association and he shall preside over the business meetings of the Board of Directors. He shall form special committees when needed and appoint Committee members. He shall manage the day to day operations of the Association.
The Vice-President assists the President with their duties. The Vice-President stands in for the President in his absence.
In the event of death or disability to the President or Vice-President, the Board of Directors will fill the expired term.
The Secretary-Treasurer shall be appointed by the Board of Directors. The Secretary-Treasurer shall keep minutes of the meetings and keep account of all monies of the Association. Monies of the association shall be deposited in a bank under the account name of ACHA.
1. A detailed financial report shall be given to each Director at the business meeting of each Major Event.
2. A financial report shall also be provided to the Directors before each scheduled Online Board Meeting.
3. Shall maintain ACHA’s “Not for Profit” status as required by Secretaries of States wherever Articles of Incorporation exist.
4. Shall maintain compliance with all Federal laws pertaining to ACHA’s “Not for Profit” status.
At meetings of the Board of Directors, a majority of the total members of the Board shall constitute a quorum and a majority vote of the Directors present at any such meeting shall prevail.
1. The President shall not have a vote in any Board of Directors meeting except
in the event of a tie vote.
Removal of Officers, Directors, State Representatives or Members
The Board of Directors shall have the power to impeach any officer, director, state representative or member for failure to perform their duties or meet the requirement of their respective office for the purposes of ACHA, or by their actions cause harm to ACHA either as an organization or reputation.
The officer, director, state representative or member in question will receive notification by certified mail from the Secretary of the Boards decision after the Board has conducted an investigation of any such issue and held a vote on the issue.
Any officer, director, state representative or member of the Association so expelled shall have the right to appeal to the membership for reinstatement. Any such appeal shall be made in writing and shall be in the hands of the Secretary of the Association within fourteen (14) consecutive days after said expulsion. The appellate process for any situation shall be as follows:
c. TheSecretaryshallselectfive(5)membersingoodstanding,atrandom; d. The Board, five (5) selected members and appellant shall convene in an
online meeting. During this meeting, the appellant shall have the opportunity to be heard and then a vote shall be taken by the Board and members for a final decision.
Amendments hereto, shall be made at the annual General Membership Meeting held at the World Hunt by,
1. Any member in good standing or the Board of Directors.
2. A member must be a paid member in good standing thirty (30) days before they can make an amendment or vote on an amendment at the Annual General
Membership Meeting, without exception.
3. Memberships shall be checked at the General Membership meeting.
4. Any amendments must be endorsed by a majority vote of the members present in favor of said amendment.
5. No amendment may be offered by a non-member or a member who is not in good standing with ACHA.
6. Any member in good standing for at least thirty (30) days will be vested with the power to make nominations for consideration to the board or, as officers at any General Membership meeting.
7. In the event that circumstances require amendments hereto to comply with constitutional or legal conflicts arising prior to the General Membership Meeting, the Board of Directors by a majority, shall have the power to amend this Constitution and By-Laws to comport with such situations, herein after referred to as an “Amendment for Constitutional Compliance.”
8. Any and all amendments hereto shall be duly recorded by the Secretary and published as soon as physically possible to the membership via advertisements and any electronic means available.
This Constitution and By-Laws were amended and adopted at the ACHA Little World Hunt on March 7th, 2014. They were approved by a vote of the members in good standing at the General Membership Meeting at the 2014 ACHA World Championship Hunt on October 11th, 2014.